An opportunity to study up to pre-degree level through open and distance learning
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) is an autonomous Institution under Ministry of Education, Govt. of India, is an 'Open School' to cater to the needs of a heterogeneous group of learners up to pre-degree level (senior secondary/12th). It was started as a project with in-built flexibilities by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in 1979. After some of the design changes over two decades, in July 2002, the Ministry of Education (MOE) amended the nomenclature of the organisation from the National Open School (NOS) to the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS).
- To provide relevant, continuing and holistic education up to pre-degree level through Open and Distance Learning System.
- To contribute to the Universalisation of School Education.
- To cater to the educational needs of the prioritized target groups for equity and social justice.
Programs offered by NIOS
The National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) provides opportunities to interested learners by making available the following Courses/Programmes of Study through open and distance learning (ODL) mode.
- Open Basic Education (OBE) Programme for 14+ years age group, adolescents and adults at A, B and C levels that are equivalent to classes III, V and VIII of the formal school systems.
- Secondary Education Course
- Senior Secondary Education Course
- Vocational Education Courses/Programmes
- Life Enrichment Programmes
Implementation of Open Basic Education Programme
For implementation of OBE programme, the NIOS has partnered with about 853 Agencies providing facilities at their study centers. It is a sort of academic input relationship with partnering agencies. The NIOS provides resource support (such as adaptation of NIOS model curricula, study materials, joint certification, orientation of Resource Persons and popularisation of OBE) to the voluntary agencies and Zila Saksharta Samities (ZSSs) etc., for implementation of its OBE programme.
For more details and updates about NIOS, visit NIOS site